Message of sympathy for Haïti and recent developments
(January 2010) During this time of tragedy in Haïti, our hearts and thoughts are with our HED Haïtian partnerships – the faculty, students and higher education community members involved – as well as with all citizens of Haïti.
Pendant ce temps de tragédie en Haïti, nos coeurs et nos pensées sont avec nos partenariats haïtiens de Higher Education for Development – la faculté, les étudiants et les membres de la communauté d'études supérieures qui participe – aussi bien qu'avec tous citoyens d'Haïti.
Higher Education in Haiti
* USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah's Statement (July 2010)
* Haitian Ambassador to the United States Raymond Joseph on April 15, 2010 visited Virginia Polytechnic and State University, home to one of HED's four Haiti-U.S. Higher Education Partnerships. Partnership directors Patrick Guilbaud of Virginia Tech and Patrick Attie of L'Ecole Supérieure d'Infotronique d'Haïti lead the HED-managed, USAID-funded partnership focused on computer science education. In addition, five Haitian students are enrolled in undergraduate computer science studies at Virginia Tech.
* Higher Education for Development's fact sheet on its Haiti-U.S. partnerships provides the latest news on the four partnerships’ activities.
* The Interuniversity Institute for Research and Development in Haiti has released a study, “The Challenge for Haitian Higher Education" that assesses the history and challenges in Haiti’s higher education system, and offers recommendations for the future. Some of HED’s partnering higher education institutions in Haiti are noted in the study.
* The Haitian government has released its Post Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) report. (French)
* USAID's Bureau for Democracy, Conflict, and Humanitarian Assistance (DCHA) Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) provides a fact sheet on recents developments surrounding foreign aid and Haiti's short-term and long-term recovery plans.